Rotaract Haliburton Highlands hosted the 50th Highland Yard at the River Cone in Minden Aug. 6 with the bulk of funds going to Places for People. This year, more than 180 participants showed up to run/walk either the 2k, 5k or 10k.

The Highland Yard started in 1971 and has currently raised more than $200,000, with more than 5,000 participants.

P4P provides safe, affordable, and supportive housing for families and individuals at risk of homelessness in the HIghlands. All of the money raised at this year’s event goes towards supporting the community of Haliburton, with 90 per cent helping P4P in lowering mortgage and maintenance costs and purchasing additional properties. The remaining 10 per cent is for supporting Rotaract Haliburton Highlands in community service initiatives.

This year saw some talented runners and very close races. The overall top male ages 1-98 for the 2k walk/run was Taine Buckmaster with a time of 8:35. The overall top female ages 1-98 for the 2k walk/run was Angela Vahamaki with a time of 8:40. In the 5k run, the overall top male ages 1-98 was William Dowling with a time of 27:51, the top female for the 5k was Kelly Doyle with a time of 20:06. For the 10k run, the top overall male for this race was Duncan Andrews with a time of 35:40 and the top overall female was Emily Walter with a time of 44:41. Winners for each category were awarded a medal and a handcrafted mug.

For more information on the Highland Yard, Rotaract, and Places for People: