Smoke alarm saves Eagle Lake residents
|By Alex Coop - Staff Writer | June 5, 2017|
The loud ringing of a smoke alarm saved the lives of Eagle Lake residents June 3.
Dysart firefighters responded to a call about a house fire last Saturday at around 12:30 a.m.
Eleven firefighters and four fire trucks responded to the call and found that the fire had started inside the exterior wall of the house. The fire then crawled up the vinyl siding.
With an extinguisher, the homeowner slowed the spread of the fire. Firefighters extinguished the fire completely by 12:49 a.m.
Firefighters were on scene for two hours, however, carefully examining the exterior wall and basement to ensure the fire was out.
In his report, fire Chief Mike Iles said the outcome of the incident could have been tragic if the smoke alarms weren’t working.
“Smoke alarms do expire and must be replaced as per the manufacturer’s recommendations,” he said.
That expiry date is usually 10 years after the device’s date of manufacturing.
Electrical wiring was the cause of the fire. The damage is estimated to cost approximately $15,000. (Alex Coop).
ALEX COOP is a reporter for The Highlander.