Vacationing owner shocked by blaze
|By Alex Coop - Staff Writer | October 26, 2017|
Eagle Lake resident Barb Bolin received an unexpected text from a neighbour Monday morning.
“She wrote ‘your cottage is on fire’ … it felt so crazy, I’ve never had anything like this happen to me before,” Bolin told The Highlander in a phone interview from an airport in British Columbia.
Just before 11 a.m. Monday, Dysart firefighters responded to a structure fire on Benson Cove Lane near Eagle Lake.
The structure was Bolin’s cottage, located right next to her home.
“The question obviously is how it happened,” she said.
As of Tuesday, firefighters didn’t have an answer.
Dysart had 14 firefighters and five fire trucks on scene, but according to a press release from fire Chief Mike Iles, the fire had progressed too far upon arrival and the structure was unable to be saved. The fire also involved a small tool shed and some of the surrounding bush. They were quickly extinguished upon arrival.
The Minden Hills fire department was also called to assist.
Luckily, no injuries were sustained in fighting the fire, the report says. The estimated damage is approximately $300,000.
ALEX COOP is a reporter for The Highlander.