Burst water line damages Community Living home
|By Mark Arike - Staff Writer | February 8, 2018
A few days after a cold Christmas, a water line burst at a 24-hour residential home in Haliburton that supports six Community Living clients. As a result, one of those clients went to stay with her parents and another is temporarily sleeping in another room.
“The immediate damage wasn’t that hard to live with, but because it went under the subfloor we’re quite displaced,” said executive director Teresa Jordan. “For mould and everything like that, they needed to rip the subfloor up.”
The two affected residents had their bedrooms in the lower level of the building, located at 737 Mountain St. Community Living leases the property from the municipality.
“We’ve cleared out what would normally be our staff office,” said Jordan. “Now we use the corner of the living room as a staff office.”
Since losing access to the basement, she said they’ve taken residents on more community outings. Otherwise it’s business as usual.
The water system was repaired immediately, said Andrew Wilbee, manager of parks and recreation. The municipality is working with its insurance company to replace the flooring and subfloor “in a timely manner.”
“As a municipality, we are very proactive on the maintenance of our buildings, but with the age of some of them it is very hard to foresee something like a water line inside a wall bursting and flooding the basement,” said Wilbee.
Jordan said they’ve worked closely with the municipality since the incident. She expects it will be at least five weeks before everything is fixed. Community Living supports residents with developmental disabilities and their families.
MARK ARIKE is a reporter for The Highlander.